Sunday, September 21, 2008

Advice

If someone has an accent, there is no need to point this fact out… believe me, they know they have one.

I was walking to class today and I ran into someone I knew in front of my building, I said hola and then he proceeded talk to me in an over exaggerated accent from the United States (he is from Argentina). I thought of pointing out to him that he had a horrendously ugly accent when he spoke English, but I was late for class and it was not worth my time.

Here is something I have learned;

It is ok to laugh at someone’s new language skills SELECTIVELY. I have to admit, when I mean to say is that I have an itchy foot and accidentally say that I’m horny (which in Spanish, is an easy mistake for foreigners to make) it’s ok, I can even laugh at that little mistake. But every time I open my mouth, you fall on the floor laughing? Now that’s just excessive. 

No comments: